Sunday, May 10, 2015

Doors, Hinges and more...

Struggles with the doors

It was a domino effect... because the skin didn't quite sit right, the door insides were not aligned and thus the hinges didn't sit well to hold the side doors nor the center bottom door.

After giving up on the center door (I glued it shut but left the hinge inside for future changes).  I started on the last outside right door.  The thought was, tape the inside with painters tape, put the first piece in the slot and hold it in position as I hotglue the hinge to the inside of the door... seemed ok.


I noticed some bending and warping of the frame near the util arm slots due to strong rubber bands.


I started to glue the rightside door.


There ya go... not as bad, not as good either but it sorta opens... I will have to sand or shave some edging off the door to get it to open freely.


Here is another look at it... 
notice it doesn't lay flat against the frame.  
This is due to the door not being rounded.  
I have some ideas that I will try after painting and assembling the system to use earth magnets to hold the doors closed shut tight using thin strips of metal on outer edges.


Took it to the clothes rack and started to paint it... going well.


Paint is not bleeding and its laying down rather good.


I let it try and started to add the details, inserting the util arm mechanicals inside.  
NOTE: everything is hot glued so I can remove it later if I replace parts.



Notice the right edge is messy - too much hot glue...


Center vent looks perfect.


Util arms in place, its starting to look more and more like R2


Both under arm vents in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment