Sunday, February 1, 2015

Wrapping up the center foot ankle

The Center Foot Ankle



This one was probably the most relaxing as I was able to properly connect, glue and sand/file the object to its perfect form... this piece looks complete now.  Will need to reach out to my awesome body shop guy - Uncle Kerry to help figure out how we paint this stuff and clear coat it for protection without warping...


Lets go through the process...
Similar to the other items, there is a infrastructure to create, so I will dry fit them together and see where edges will need to be sanded and filed etc.





Looks pretty straight forward, I will begin gluing the pieces together now (there are 2 side of this ankle that look exact).



While one dries, I start the same steps on the second and switch back and forth.


Gluing down the beveled faces etc


I am going to be waiting for a bit on Frank Pirz center foot shells etc so I will re-use the old legacy R2's center foot... My God... look how beat up it is!
I will have to learn to BONDO this thing to get it to the same level as the rest of the stuff.


In the meantime I started re-applying glue and Epoxy on it to strengthen it 



Back to the center of the ankle... here I am placing the NUT bolts in each of the holes to capture the bolts that will connect the ankle to the frame (until I can do 2-3-2).



I am continuing to glue and put pressure on each piece.  connecting the first outer shell to the center area 


keeping the bolts in the holes helps to align the parts as they dry


Putting the other outer shell piece on its coming together nicely






Looking at those ribs again... I have to sand and file each down to match the contour of the shape as seen here.


Oh boy... lots of sanding and filing here too


More filing, sanding... hands hurt






Ok after its dry and sanded down I will start applying the SKINS to the outer parts covering the frame.


Lots of tape to hold it in place while it dries... I think I can fill a garbage can full of this stuff.


Oh Boy - here comes the hard part, center it the best, watch how it wraps and then put some glue on one side and start taping it down hard to hold it...

Making my way around the frame until I get to the end on the otherside and glue tape that.


Here we are - all taped up!  I didnt realize he had his middle finger up like that - how rude!


Ok after hours of sanding, re-gluing and sanding, re-gluing Its really looking sharp.


Some more views of this item


Yep that about does it!



No comments:

Post a Comment